|Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on February 28, 2016 at 12:20 AM|
Take 10 Minutes a Day for Your Mind!
Mental health is typically shown in a very negative light in society today. Unfortunately, mental illness affects 1 in 4 people… that’s right, 25% of us!
Why do we continue to turn our cheek and cast a blind eye on mental illness as a society, knowing that this issue affects so many of us? Is it the stigma? Are we afraid of what people think? How it may affect people’s views of us or our jobs?
The fact is, we need to start taking our psychological health more seriously. The best way to begin doing this is by setting apart 10 minutes a day for your mind. 10 minutes is all we need to literally add years of life expectancy and to live happier and healthier lives!
During these 10 minutes, you can do a handful of different things that will help you stave off mental illness, as well as feel better each day.
Here are a few I recommend…
- Yoga is not only great for your brain (due to its ability to reduce stress), it reduces cortisol levels (increased cortisol causes heart and other diseases) but it also enhances your metabolism and your muscle tone
2. Guided meditation
- Guided meditation has very similar benefits to yoga, decreased cortisol and stress levels, increased muscle tone, decreased blood pressure and lower cholesterol, as well as reduced risk of cardiovascular disease
3. Adult coloring
- Adult coloring is quickly becoming the new “it” health activity for adults as a part of healthy aging, keeping your brain active as you age reduces risk of Alzheimer’s disease
4. Puzzles for your mind
- Similar to adult coloring, putting puzzles together de-stresses and relaxes your mind, as well as reduces risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Walking is one of the single healthiest activities you can partake in for your mind! This allows you time to refocus, think and organize your day and de-stresses you. Similar to yoga, walking greatly reduces cortisol levels. Aim to walk 30 minutes each day!
Mix these up throughout the week and you’ll be helping your mind and body feel the best it’s ever felt and add healthy years onto your life!